Canadian Treaty Series
E102987 - CTS 1944 No. 15
EXCHANGE OF NOTES BETWEEN CANADA AND BRAZIL CONSTITUTING AN AGREEMENT FOR THE PROMOTION OF CULTURAL RELATIONS BETWEEN THE TWO COUNTRIES
The Canadian Ambassador to Brazil to the Brazilian Minister of External Relations
RIO DE JANEIRO, 24th May, 1944
Monsieur le Ministre,
With reference to the agreement in principle reached in the course of our previous conversations with regard to the promotion of permanent and regular cultural relations between Canada and the United States of Brazil, I have the honour to bring to the attention of Your Excellency the views of my Government in this respect.
It is considered that, in the relations between the two countries, there should be recognition of the desirability of promoting a greater mutual knowledge and wider comprehension of the respective peoples, their cultures, traditions and institutions.
In particular the Canadian Government welcomes efforts made:
- to encourage and facilitate the exchange of official, scientific and technical publications, reviews, newspaper articles, books, et cetera; and
- to encourage and facilitate the organization and presentation of artistic exhibitions, concerts, lectures, radio programmes, films, and other activities and contacts.
To this end the Government of Canada is resolved, within its constitutional powers, and by such means as are at its disposal, to encourage intellectual and cultural activities of reciprocal value in furthering the understanding of one country by the other.
I should be grateful if you would let me know whether your Government is prepared to concur in these views.
I beg your Excellency to accept the assurances of my highest esteem and consideration.
The Brazilian Minister of External Relations to the Canadian Ambassador
PALACIO DO ITAMARATY
RIO DE JANEIRO, the 24th May, 1944
DAI/DCI/12/542 .6 (21)
I have the honour to acknowledge receipt of the note No. 25 of today's date by which your Excellency, referring to the agreement in principle reached in our conversation, in accordance with the instructions presents the point of view of your Government with relation to the establishment of permanent and regular cultural relations between Brazil and Canada.
2. Your Excellency indicates that the Canadian Government is of the opinion that in the relations between our two peoples there should be taken into consideration a greater mutual knowledge and wider comprehension of their cultures, traditions, and institutions and that it welcomes efforts which would:
(1) encourage the exchange of official, scientific and technical publications as well as reviews, books, newspaper articles, etc.; and
(2) encourage the organization and presentation of artistic expositions, concerts, lectures, radio programmes, films, as well as all other means of rapprochement of the same nature.
3. Your Excellency concludes by assuring me that it is the intention of the Canadian Government to encourage within the limits of its constitutional powers and within the means at its disposal, intellectual and cultural activities which can contribute to a better reciprocal acquaintance.
4. Entirely in agreement with the idea of the Canadian Government, as already demonstrated by Your Excellency on different occasions, the Brazilian Government has equally the intention of encouraging this work of intellectual interchange, which seems to it of the greatest benefit for the relations between our two countries.
I seize this opportunity to renew to Your Excellency the assurances of my highest consideration.