Canadian Treaty Series
E100620 - CTS 1982 No. 2
PROTOCOL TO FURTHER EXTEND THE TRADE AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE GOVERNMENT OF CANADA AND THE GOVERNMENT OF THE UNION OF SOVIET SOCIALIST REPUBLICS SIGNED AT OTTAWA ON FEBRUARY 29, 1956
In connection with the expiration of the Trade Agreement between Canada and the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics concluded in Ottawa on February 29, 1956 for a period of three years and extended by the Protocol of April 18, 1960 to April 17, 1963, by the Protocol of September 16, 1963 to April 17, 1966, by the Protocol of June 20, 1966 to April 17, 1969, by the Protocol of March 1, 1970 to April 17, 1972, by the Protocol of April 7, 1972 to April 17, 1976, and by the Protocol of July 14, 1976 to April 17, 1981, the Government of Canada and the Government of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, desiring to expand and diversify further the trade between the two countries on the basis of mutual advantage, have agreed as follows:
1. The Trade Agreement between Canada and the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics of February 29, 1956 is hereby further extended, with the exception of Article 9, for a period of five years from April 18, 1981.
2. Each of the two Governments looks forward to a further development and diversification of their mutual trade and to this end undertakes to facilitate the exchange of goods between the two countries within the scope of the laws and regulations in force in their respective countries.
3. Each of the two Governments hereby affirms that it will give sympathetic consideration to any recommendations which the other Government may make in respect to the implementation of this Protocol and of other matters affecting commercial relations between the two countries.
4. It is understood that as a measure towards attaining the mutual trade objectives of the two countries the competent authorities of the two Governments will facilitate visits for business purposes between the two countries.
5. This Protocol shall enter into force on the date of its signature. The Protocol shall remain in force concurrently with the Trade Agreement between Canada and the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics of February 29, 1956, extended as provided for in paragraph 1, above.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF the undersigned, duly authorized by their respective Governments, have signed this Protocol.
DONE in duplicate at Moscow this 2lst day of January 1982, in the English, French and Russian languages, all texts being equally authentic.
G. A. H. Pearson
FOR THE GOVERNMENT OF CANADA
N. S. Patolichev
FOR THE GOVERNMENT OF THE UNION OF SOVIET SOCIALIST REPUBLICS