Canadian Treaty Series
E100833 - CTS 1991 No. 56
PROTOCOL TO THE AGREEMENT ON MUTUAL ASSISTANCE BETWEEN CANADA AND FRANCE FOR THE PREVENTION, INVESTIGATION AND SUPPRESSION, BY THE CUSTOMS ADMINISTRATIONS OF BOTH COUNTRIES, OF CUSTOMS OFFENCES DATED JANUARY 9, 1979
The Government of Canada, and the Government of the Republic of France,
Wishing to broaden the cooperation between their Customs Administrations,
Do agree to the following provisions:
Paragraph 1 of Article 4 of the Agreement on Mutual Assistance
between Canada and France for the Prevention, Investigation and
by the Customs Administrations of both Countries, of
Customs Offences, dated January 9, 1979, is repealed and replaced
by the following:
1. The Customs Administrations of the two States shall communicate to each other:
a. Spontaneously and without delay, any available information regarding:
- irregular operations proven or planned, and being, or suspected of being, contrary to the Customs laws of the other state;
- new means or methods of committing Customs offences;
- categories of goods known to be subject of illicit importation, exportation, or transit;
- persons, vehicles, ships, aircraft or other means of transport which there is reason to believe are involved or may be involved in Customs offences;
b. on written request and as promptly as possible:
- any information that can be extracted from Customs declarations and other documents in their possession relating to exchange of goods involving either of the two states, and as to which the requesting state has reason to believe Customs offences exist;
- and duly certified or legalized copies of the said documents.
This Protocol enters into force on the first day of the second month following the date of signature.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the undersigned, duly authorized by their respective Governments, have signed this Protocol.
DONE at Ottawa on November 6, 1990, in duplicate, in the English and French languages, both texts being equally authentic.
FOR THE GOVERNMENT OF CANADA
FOR THE GOVERNMENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF FRANCE