Canadian Treaty Series
E100652 - CTS 1991 No. 8
PROTOCOL TO FURTHER EXTEND THE TRADE AGREEMENT BETWEEN CANADA AND THE UNION OF SOVIET SOCIALIST REPUBLICS SIGNED AT OTTAWA ON FEBRUARY 29, 1956
In connection with the expiration of the Trade Agreement between Canada and the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics signed at Ottawa on February 29, 1956 for a period of three years and extended by the Protocol of April 18, 1960 to April 17, 1963, by the Protocol of September 16, 1963 to April 17, 1966, by the Protocol of June 20, 1966 to April 17, 1969, by the Protocol of March 1, 1970 to April 17, 1972, by the Protocol of April 7, 1972 to April 17, 1976, by the Protocol of July 14, 1976 to April 17, 1981, by the Protocol of January 21, 1982 to April 17, 1986, by the Protocol of October 2, 1986 to April 17, 1991, the Government of Canada and the Government of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, desiring to expand and diversify further the trade between the two countries on the basis of mutual advantage, have agreed as follows:
1. The Trade Agreement between Canada and the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics of February 29, 1956 is hereby further extended, with the exception of Article 9, for a period of two years from April 18, 1991, subject to paragraph 5 below.
2. Each of the two Governments looks forward to a further development and diversification of their mutual trade and to this end undertake to facilitate the exchange of goods between the two countries within the scope of the laws and regulations in force in their respective countries.
3. Each of the two Governments hereby affirms that it will give sympathetic consideration to any recommendations which the other Government may make in respect to the implementation of this Protocol and of other matters affecting commercial relations between the two countries.
4. As a measure towards attaining the mutual trade objectives of the two countries the competent authorities of the two Governments will facilitate visits for business purposes between the two countries.
5. The two Governments undertake to negotiate a new Trade Agreement to replace the existing Trade Agreement of February 29, 1956.
6. This Protocol shall enter into force on the date of its signature. The Protocol shall remain in force concurrently with the Trade Agreement between Canada and the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics of February 29, 1956, extended as provided for in paragraph 1, above.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF the undersigned, duly authorized by their respective Governments, have signed this Protocol.
DONE in duplicate at Moscow, this 17th day of April, 1991, in the English, French and Russian languages, each version being equally authentic.
FOR THE GOVERNMENT OF CANADA
FOR THE GOVERNMENT OF THE UNION OF SOVIET SOCIALIST REPUBLICS