New Delhi, 20 March 1969
India and the Federal Republic of Germany,
DESIRING to promote in either country by means of friendly cooperation and cultural exchanged an understanding for the cultural intellectual
activities, and ways of life of the people of the other country,
HAVE agreed as follows :
(1) Each Contracting Party shall endeavour to admit and encourage cultural institutions of the other Contracting Party in accordance
with applicable regulations and subject to conditions to be agreed upon by both Contracting Parties.
(2) The Contracting Parties shall endeavour to encourage the foundation and activities of Indo-German Societies and other organisations
serving the purposes of this Agreement.
(3) “Cultural institutions” within the meaning of paragraph 1 of this Article are, in particular, schools, scientific and cultural
institutes, hospitals, libraries, film and music archives, as well as the Cultural Centres established by either country.
(1) The Contracting Parties shall endeavour to facilitate and encourage the exchange between their respective countries of University
teachers for all types of schools, scientists, scholars, and other persons active in cultural fields, as well as of students, sportsmen
(2) The Contracting Parties shall endeavour by invitations or grants to encourage visits of individuals or groups, for the purpose
of developing cultural cooperation.
(1) Each Contracting Party shall endeavour in accordance with applicable regulations to enable students who are nationals of the other
Contracting Party to obtain admission to the first Contracting Party’s educational institutions.
(2) Each Contracting Party shall endeavour to agree to what extent and on what conditions academic degrees, university and college
certificates obtained in the territory of the other Contracting Party can be recognised as equivalent, for academic purposes, to
the corresponding degrees and certificates obtained in its own territory.
Each Contracting Party shall endeavour to provide scholarships and to enable its own nationals who satisfy the relevant requirements,
to take up or continue studies in the territory of the other Contracting Party, and to enable nationals of the other Contracting
Party who satisfy the relevant requirements, to take up or continue studies in its own territory.
The Contracting Parties shall endeavour to ensure that textbooks in their institutions as well as official informative publications
do not contain any errors or misrepresentations about the country of the other Contracting Party.
Each Contracting Party shall endeavour to encourage within the scope of its possibilities, the study of the language of the other
The Contracting Parties shall endeavour to assist each other in propagating in their respective territories a better knowledge of
the culture and ways of life prevailing in the territory of the other Contracting Party, and, in particular, to encourage :
(a) the distribution of books, periodicals, publication and reproductions of works of art,
(b) art and other exhibitions,
(c) concerts and artistic performances,
(e) theatrical performances,
(f) radio broadcasts, television transmissions, the showing of films, the production of gramophone records and tape recordings
(g) sports events
(h) special events.
Each Contracting Party shall endeavour to grant facilities to citizens of the other Contracting Party desirous of visiting their territory
within the framework of this Agreement, for their entry and stay in accordance with prevalent regulations.
Each Contracting Party shall endeavour, subject to its legislative provisions, to encourage in every way the importation into its
own territory from the territory of the other Contracting Party of such articles e.g. pictures and other exhibition objects, books,
periodicals, teaching aids, films, film projectors and gramophones records, as are required for the purposes of this Agreement.
Each Contracting Party shall endeavour its utmost to solve the financial problems arising in connection with execution of this Agreement.
The honoraria and royalties to be paid to authors or accruing from he rights granted to hold performances are payable in convertible
or non-convertible local currency according to official regulations in force in each country.
(1) For the purpose of making suggestions and recommendations as well as advising the Contracting Parties, a Permanent Indo-German
Committee shall be set up, consisting of six members.
(2) The three German members shall be appointed by the German Federal Minister of Foreign Affairs in consultation with other Federal
Ministers concerned and the Ministers of Educations of Laender of the Federal Republic of Germany and the three Indian members shall
be appointed by the Government of India.
(3) The Permanent Committee will meet as required but at least once every year, alternatively in the Federal Republic of Germany and
in India. The Chairman will be a representative of the country in whose territory the meeting takes place.
(4) The objects of the Committee will be :
(a) to keep under periodical review the working of the Agreement;
(b) to advise the Government concerned on the detailed manner of carrying out the Agreement; and
(c) generally to advise the Governments concerned as to the manner in which the working of the Agreement may be improved upon.
(5) The Permanent Committee may invite experts to attend meetings in an avsiroy capacity.
This Agreement shall also apply to Land Berlin, provided that the Government of the Federal Republic of Germany has not made a contrary
declaration to the Government of India within three months from the date of entry into force of this Agreement.
(1) This Agreement is subject to ratification; the instruments of ratification shall be exchanged at Bonn as soon as possible.
(2) This Agreement shall enter into force one month after the exchange of the instruments of ratification.
(3) This Agreement may be terminated in writing at any time after the expiry of a period of five years from its entry into force;
it shall expire six months after such notice of termination.
DONE at New Delhi on the Twenty-ninth Day of Phalguna of the Saka year one thousand eight hundred and ninety, corresponding to the
Twentieth Day of March, one thousand nine hundred and sixtynine, in six originals, two each in the Hindi, German and English languages,
each text being equally authentic. In the event of differences regarding the interpretation of this Agreement the English text shall
For the Federal Republic of Germany