The full text of the MOU is as follows:
The Ministry of Agriculture of The Republic of India and The Ministry of Marine Affairs and Fisheries of the Republic of Indonesia,
hereinafter referred to as the “Parties”;
Considering the existing common desire for friendly cooperation and enhanced relations between the two countries;
Realizing that marine fisheries cooperation would lead to common benefits and economic development of the parties;
Considering the spirit of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS 1982) and the common concern of the parties
on the conservation, management and sustainable utilization of marine living resources;
Recalling the Agreement between the Government of the Republic of India and the Government of the Republic of Indonesia concerning
Technical and Scientific Cooperation, signed on February 10th ,1982;
Aiming to promote cooperation of the parties in various fields of marine fisheries on the basis of equality and mutual respect;
Pursuant to the prevailing laws and regulations of the respective countries;
Have reached the following understanding:
The general objective of this Memorandum of Understanding is to set up a framework for the enhancement of cooperation in the field
of marine fisheries.
AREAS OF COOPERATION
The parties shall develop and pursue the following areas of cooperation, inter alia:
(a) Aquaculture development;
(b) Exchange of information and data;
(c) Education, training and sharing of expertise;
(d) Prevention, combating and elimination of IUU Fishing activities;
(e) Post-harvest development and food safety(including processing, distribution and fishery trade);
(f) Coastal Fisheries Management;
(g) Marine Capture Fisheries.
(h) Other cooperation fields determined by the parties through consultation.
1. The parties shall determine in detail the cooperation schemes and ways in the implementation of the mentioned areas of cooperation
under Article II which shall be embodied in separate subsidiary agreement in accordance with the provisions of this Memorandum of
2. Each party shall designate a contact person to carry out the preparation and implementation of the contents under this Memorandum
3. The parties may if necessary, establish a Joint Committee on Marine Fisheries to ensure the implementation of this Memorandum
4. Support for the cooperative activities agreed upon hereafter pursuant to this Memorandum of Understanding will be provided in
accordance with the relevant policies, laws and regulation applicable to each party, within the limits of competence and available
In the case of exchange of officials for study visits, the sending Party shall meet the to and fro international travel costs on
the visit of its officials whereas the receiving side shall meet the costs of board, lodging and internal transport. For training
and consultancy of experts the financial arrangement shall be decided by mutual consent of both the Parties.
SETTLEMENT OF DISPUTES
Any differences arising out of the interpretation and implementation of this Memorandum of Understanding shall be settled amicably
through consultation between the parties.
ENTRY INTO FORCE, AMENDMENT AND TERMINATION
1. This Memorandum of Understanding shall come into force upon signature by both parties and shall remain effective for (5) five
years. Thereafter, it may be extended for subsequent period of (5) five years at a time unless terminated by either party giving
six months prior notice;
2. Amendment to and extension of this Memorandum of Understanding can only be made after mutual consent achieved by consultation
and confirmation in writing by both parties;
3. The termination of this Memorandum of Understanding shall not affect the validity and duration of any activity made under this
Memorandum of Understanding until such time as the implementation of the agreed projects under the areas of cooperation has been
carried out to its completion.
November 23, 2005