Constitution of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka
[Database Search] [Name Search] [Table of Contents] [Previous] [Next] [Help]
CHAPTER I - THE PEOPLE, THE STATE AND SOVEREIGNTY
1. Sri Lanka (Ceylon) is a free, Sovereign, Independent and Democratic Socialist Republic and shall be known as the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka.
2. The Republic of Sri Lanka is a Unitary State.
Sovereignty of the People.
3. In the Republic of Sri Lanka sovereignty is in the people and is inalienable. Sovereignty includes the powers of government, fundamental rights and the franchise.
Exercise of Sovereignty.
4. The Sovereignty of the People shall be exercised and enjoyed in the following manner :-
(a) the legislative power of the People shall be exercised by Parliament, consisting of elected representatives of the People and by the People at a Referendum;
(b) the executive power of the People including the defence of Sri Lanka, shall be exercised by the President of the Republic elected by the People;
(c) the judicial power of the People shall be exercised by Parliament through courts, tribunals and institutions created and established, or recognized, by the Constitution, or created and established by law, except in regard to matters relating to the privileges, immunities and powers of Parliament and of its Members, wherein the judicial power of the People may be exercised directly by Parliament according to law;
(d) the fundamental rights which are by the Constitution declared and recognized shall be respected, secured and advanced by all the organs of government, and shall not be abridged, restricted or denied, save in the manner and to the extent hereinafter provided; and
(e) the franchise shall be exercisable at the election of the President of the Republic and of the Members of Parliament, and at every Referendum by every citizen who has attained the age of eighteen years, and who being qualified to be an elector as hereinafter provided, has his name entered in the register of electors.
Territory of the Republic.
5. The territory of the Republic of Sri Lanka shall consist of the twenty-five administrative districts, the names of which are set out in the First Schedule, and its territorial waters:
Provided that such administrative districts may be subdivided or amalgamated so as to constitute different administrative districts, as Parliament may by resolution determine.
The National Flag.
6. The National Flag of the Republic of Sri Lanka shall be the Lion Flag depicted in the Second Schedule.
The National Anthem.
7. The National Anthem of the Republic of Sri Lanka shall be "Sri Lanka Matha," the words and music of which are set out in the Third Schedule.
The National Day.
8. The National Day of the Republic of Sri Lanka shall be the fourth day of February.
 Substituted by Seventh Amendment to the Constitution Sec. 2 (a) and the first Schedule for "‘Twenty four”.
 Substituted by Seventh Amendment to the Constitution Sec. 2 (b) for “territorial waters”