Constitution of Malaysia 1957
[Database Search] [Name Search] [Previous] [Next] [Help]
ELECTION AND RETIREMENT OF SENATORS
PART I - ELECTION OF SENATORS
(2) As often as there is a vacancy among the members elected to the Senate by a State the Yang di-Pertuan Agong shall give notice to the Ruler or Yang di-Pertua Negeri of the State that an election of a Senator is required and the Ruler or Yang di-Pertua Negeri shall require the Legislative Assembly to elect a Senator as soon as may be.
(1) The names of candidates for election shall be proposed and seconded by members of the Assembly and the member proposing or the member seconding shall submit a statement in writing, signed by the person nominated, that he is willing to serve as a Senator if elected.
(2) When all the nominations have been received, the presiding officer shall announce the names of the persons nominated in alphabetical order and shall then put their names to the vote in that order.
(3) Each member present shall be entitled to vote for as many candidates as there are vacancies to be filled, and the names of the members voting for each candidate shall be recorded; and if any member casts a vote in addition to those allowed by this subsection that vote shall be void.
(4) The presiding officer shall declare to be elected the candidate or candidates who receive the largest number of votes, but if two or more candidates have an equal number of votes and the number of those candidates is larger than the number of vacancies to be filled, the election of those candidates shall be determined by lot.
3. Notwithstanding anything in section 2, if a vacancy due to the expiry of the term of office of a Senator is to be filled at the same meeting as a vacancy arising in any other way there shall first be an election to fill the vacancy due to the expiry of the term and then a separate election to fill the other vacancy.
4. The presiding officer shall certify to the clerk to the Senate, by writing under his hand, the name of a person elected as Senator in accordance with the provisions of this Schedule.
5. If any question arises whether a member of the Senate has been duly elected in accordance with the provisions of this Schedule, the decision of the Senate shall be taken and shall be final, but the failure to hold an election under section 1 (2) as soon as my be shall not of itself invalidate the election of any Senator.
PART II - RETIREMENT OF SENATORS
8. The term of office of a person or appointed to replace a person who has died to be a Senator before the expiration of his term shall be the remainder of that term.